Many of you know that I spend a great deal of time with junior high students. Many adults look back at junior high and say, “Never again. That was the most ___________ time of my life.” (I’ve heard those spaces filled with words such as: crazy, scary, tumultuous, confusing, etc…). I think many of us adults think that we don’t have much in common with our junior high sons and daughters, and yet I have discovered that it’s quite the opposite.
Our kids are fearing, wanting, and hoping for many of the same things we want. Recently, at a campaigners session, we asked kids to anonymously answer some big questions for us. Over the next few posts, I’d like to share some of those real thoughts from our kids here with you.
Question #1: What are you proud of?
- I’m proud of my family and friends because they always influence me to make the best decisions.
- I’m proud of the person I am today, even though I do make mistakes, I try to fix them and become a better person.
- I am proud of how hard I work for things.
- I’m proud that I sit with kids who are alone at lunch.
- I’m proud that I am continually growing in my faith in Christ.
- I’m proud of myself for being ridiculously patient with people.
- I’m proud to have my personality.
- I’m proud to have made the golf team.
- I’m proud of sticking up for myself and what I believe in.
Question 2: What’s a question you would like to ask Jesus?
- Why is there hate in the world?
- How is it possible that I am alive?
- Why do we have to die?
- What is heaven like?
- What is your plan for me?
- How can I love all the people in the world, especially the hard ones to like?
- What do you look like?
- What happened to the last colony of Roanoke?
- Who am I going to marry?
- Why do you let us make mistakes?
- How did the dinosaurs die if all of your other creatures survived?
- What is my purpose here on earth?
- Am I on the right track?
- Why do you love me so much, especially since I’ve messed up so much?
- Why do we have to experience suffering?
- Why are there so many religions?
- Why am I the way I am?
- How can I be close to you while I’m here on earth?
Question #3: What’s your favorite part of your week?
- My favorite part of the week is Friday with my friends because it makes me happy.
- My favorite part of the week is Thursday; it’s the day I get to hang out with my big sister.
- The weekends because I get to play baseball.
- The weekends because I get to be home for once.
- My favorite part of the week is going to Wyld Life and church.
- My favorite part of the week is when I get to go to dance class.
- Any day that I don’t have homework.
I can’t wait to share more of our kids’ responses with you. They are profound and real. In fact, I would say that these are things that many of us (adults) would say when asked these questions.
Stay tuned, friends.